Sunday, February 1, 2009

Timeless Classic

Great American styling is one of Allen Edmonds’ strengths. If you’re like me, for longer than you can recall you’ve noticed Allen Edmonds shoes on important men in your life, highly successful men.

It struck me when I took over as CEO last fall that some of those great American Allen Edmonds styles were no longer available. Salespeople in our stores around the country let me know that many of our loyal customers were hoping to see those shoes re-introduced. I long ago noticed that most men stay with the same shoe styles, save maybe one experiment at a time, throughout their careers. So, in honor of thousands of illustrious Allen Edmonds Men, we decided to re-introduce the Timeless Classics. Andy, my first boss at The First National Bank of Chicago was a big fan of Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenues. Mike, a fellow trainee at the beginning of my working life, wore the Manchester practically every day (shoes should be rotated, Mike, I would learn later). Top executives I’ve had the honor to meet at corporations from coast-to-coast frequently have worn the McAllister. And I first noticed the Strands on the feet of some more-stylish dressers when I had a chance to work in Europe in the 1980s.

Given the difficult economy, we decided not only to bring back these four great shoe styles, we also decided to bring them back at a special “recession price” of $279. Sales have exceeded our highest expectations, so it’s clear we struck a chord. Thinking of all the Andys, Mikes, bosses, CEOs, COOs, CFOs, colleagues, customers and competitors I’ve known or run across in airports and conference rooms over the past 30 years, I’m not surprised.

Best wishes,



Paul D. Grangaard
President & CEO
Allen Edmonds Shoe Corporation